Durham Preventative Dentistry
Teeth Cleanings and Continuing Care of your Teeth: More than “just a cleaning”
In Dr. Ramos’s office, a cleaning is only the tip of the iceberg. A maintenance or Continuing Care visit is as essential to keeping your health as putting oil in your car is essential to keep driving.
Our Continuing Care Visits are an important part of this practice. We believe that optimal oral hygiene is essential to prolong the life of your teeth and any dental treatment you have or will have in the future. Our hygienists work together with Dr. Ramos to help you recognize the state of your dental health and help you to discover what is best for you.
An appointment with our hygienist for Continuing Care will vary according to your needs and may include the following:
- Updating your medical history
- Reviewing your current concerns
- Taking annual cavity-detecting digital radiographs (bitewing x-rays)
- Updating complete series of radiographs (FMX) every 3-5 years
- Examination of existing restorations and diagnose any new decay or conditions
- DIAGNOdent laser cavity detection
- Oral Cancer Examination
- Oral Cancer enhanced with special OralID fluorescence light
- Occlusal (bite and TMJ) Examination
- Periodontal (gum) Examination and Plaque and Bleeding Indices
- Full mouth scale and polish (prophylaxis)
- Application of topical fluoride or desensitizing agents
- Oral Hygiene Instructions individualize per patient
- Ultrasonic cleaning of Night guards or Partial Dentures
- Annual Dental Fitness Report developed by Dr. Ramos to measure specific markers of dental health
On of the most important services we offer at the Continuing Care appointment is CONTINUITY OF CARE and KNOWING YOUR NEEDS INDIVIDUALLY. Only when the doctor and staff get to know you time after time can me make truly helpful suggestions to improve your dental health.
Advantages of Early Cavity Detection and Increased Patient Comfort
Dr. Ramos offers two NEW high tech ergonomic devices that speed up quality dental care and make patients more comfortable: DIAGNOdent Laser Cavity Detection and the Isolite Mouthpiece. Both offer unique advantages and are becoming increasingly popular among dental patients. In fact, based on patient feedback, Dr. Ramos says “My patients love that we use these and request them when they come back. The Isolite Mouthpiece is especially helpful for people with small mouths, limited opening ability and anxiety.”
Top Patient Advantages to DIAGNOdent Laser Cavity Detection:
- Very early cavity detection with much more certainty
- Provides precise and reliable measurements. Proven to be 90% accurate
- Results in less invasive procedures, less drilling, no unnecessary drilling
- No x-ray exposure
- Simple, fast and painless examination
Oral cancer’s incidence rate has increased the last five years in a row.
Oral cancer’s high mortality rate is due to late-stage discovery (Stage III and IV). The mortality rate for oral cancer is higher than the rates for cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, laryngeal cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid cancer and skin cancer.
These are disturbing statistics. As part of our regular continuing care appointments we offer inexpensive Oral ID early detection oral cancer examination. Oral ID uses fluorescence technology that allows a clinician to identify oral cancer, pre-cancer and other abnormal lesions at an earlier stage, thus savings.